I love those days where I have enough time in the morning to prepare a slow-cooker meal! Thursday was one of those days and I had a real desire for a BBQ-style pasta.
For some reason, which I still haven’t figured out, I had chorizo on my shopping list. I didn’t have any recipes that required it and my husband already had lunches prepped for work, so I had this packet of chorizo just sitting in the fridge screaming out to be used. I looked at my meal planner and thought, “BBQ chicken pasta… with chorizo!”… sounded fantastic!
I had also received my latest Muscle Food delivery and had a little packed of Nude Sweet and Smoky spice mix to try, so I threw that into the recipe too. There was my BBQ taste! I prepped it all, stuck it in the slow-cooker and impatiently waited to see how it would turn out.
It certainly packed a punch! It was rather spicy to the point that I was gulping flavoured water after every bite to cool my mouth! I read the back of the spice packet and saw that it was a Chipotle style spice mix! After getting used to the spice-kick, however, it was super tasty! The slow-cooker made the chicken and chorizo go lovely a
nd tender, and the sauce was full of spicy tomato flavour. I served it with some tricolour fusilli and topped it with cheese, which finished off the comfort-food hit that I needed!
Here’s the recipe, if you fancied it. It makes 4-5 meals depending on how big you want your portions.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 100g chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1 packet of Nude Sweet and Smoky spice mix
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkling of grated cheese, cheddar or Parmesan works quite well
- However much pasta you’d like with it!
- Heat the olive oil in the slow-cooker pot (if yours is one that can be used on the hob) and fry the chorizo on a medium-high heat until cooked.
- Move the chorizo to around the outside of the pot and place the chicken breasts into the pot and season one side with salt and pepper. Fry for 1-2 minutes then flip, season again and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the packet of spice mix with the tomato puree and mix into the chorizo and chicken. Then pour in the cans of chopped tomatoes and stir fully again.
- Place the pot into the slow-cooker and heat on “low” for 4-6 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, boil the pasta in a pot of plenty of water with a dash of olive oil and pinch of salt. The time will depend on your pasta, but mine usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
- I find this next step easier to do one chicken breast at a time… and less messy! Whilst the pasta is boiling, remove the chicken breasts from the slow-cooker and place them on a plate. Shred the meat using two forks, then return to the pot and mix into the sauce.
- Once the pasta has fully cooked, drain and place into pasta bowls or into plastic containers to freeze for later. Spoon the sauce and meat on top of the pasta, then grate some cheddar or Parmesan (or both!) over it all. Finish off with a sprinkle of oregano, and enjoy!